Favorability of the farm & ranching industry is high among New Mexico residents. Overall, 72 percent of all residents have a favorable impression of the farm and ranch industry.
Demographically, favorability is strong across all groups. The strongest favorability is seen among residents between the ages of 50 and 64 years and an annual income between $40,000 and $60,000.
Geographically, the farm and ranch industry has the highest favorability where there is significant industry activity (85 percent in Eastern New Mexico).
Interestingly, the industry has the weakest perception in the Albuquerque and North Central areas where statewide hubs of media sources are located.
- Goal – Increase awareness among the Albuquerque media market about the importance of the farm and ranch industry to New Mexico’s economy.
- Research – Use the GPS ’17 data to identify preferred media sources of those who favor the industry.
- Research – Use the GPS data to identify news and information source accessed the most by those who support the industry.
- Planning – Develop talking points, story ideas and opinion editorials to spark interest and relay information about the farm and ranch industries importance to New Mexico’s economy.
- Execution – Implement this approach through a one month awareness campaign and an 11-month news bureau approach to provide a steady stream of story ideas and outreach to Albuquerque media.
- Evaluation – Tracking results of stories covered, metrics related to a unique website and/or engagement through a twitter campaign are three easy was to track success of this approach.
Favorability of the farm & ranch industry
- 45% Very Favorable
- 27% Favorable
- 17% Neutral
- 3% Unfavorable
- 2% Very Unfavorable
- 6% Don’t Know Wont Say